Program Manager, Standards
2700 Prosperity Avenue, Suite 250
Fairfax, VA 22031
The American Industrial Hygiene Association is one of the largest international associations serving the needs of occupational and environmental health professionals practicing industrial hygiene in industry, government, labor, academic institutions, and independent organizations. We:
- are devoted to achieving and maintaining the highest professional standards for our members;
- work in conjunction with the American Board of Industrial Hygiene to promote certification of industrial hygienists;
- administer comprehensive education programs that keep occupational and environmental health and safety professionals current in the field of industrial hygiene;
- operate several highly-recognized laboratory accreditation programs, based on the highest international standards.
These programs help ensure the quality of the data used in making critical worker protection decisions.
Founded in 1939, AIHA is a nonprofit organization with more than 75 local sections. AIHA's 10,460 members are highly educated professionals;
96 percent are college graduates, 51 percent hold master's degrees, and 12 percent possess doctoral degrees.
The Association is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
Scope of Standards Developing Activity
AIHA's standards related goals are to:
- Ensure that AIHA obtains and maintains an appropriate level of involvement or leadership role in industrial/occupational hygiene (IH/OH) related standards globally.
- Encourage broader participation by AIHA in the development of international IH/OH standards while supporting
and strengthening the existing domestic standards development efforts.
- Support the development and harmonization of national and international IH/OH standards.
- Provide a forum for AIHA members to provide meaningful input into the standards development process.
An ANSI member and accredited standards developer, AIHA serves as the secretariat for three ANSI committees that develop occupational safety and health related standards:
- ANSI/AIHA Z9 Accredited Standards Committee (ASC) – Health and Safety Standards for Industrial Ventilation Systems
- ANSI/AIHA ASC Z88 – Respiratory Protection Standards
- ANSI/AIHA ASC Z10 – Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems Standard
International Activities by Region